MEET OUR PARTNERS
Luísa Souto Moura
CO-OWNER, DUAS PORTAS TOWNHOUSE
Luísa, the architect daughter of Pritzker Prize winner Eduardo Souto de Moura, her mother, and her aunt Francisca opened Duas Portas Townhouse in the Foz do Douro neighborhood of Porto several years ago. Their mutual love of travel, architecture, and the joy of hosting as true “portuenses” caused them to create what we think is one of the warmest and most inviting guest houses in the region.
Follow Duas Portas Townhouse on INSTAGRAM.
LEARN MORE ABOUT LUISA
1. WHAT HAS BEEN THE MOST IMPACTFUL THING YOU LEARNED GROWING UP IN A HOUSE WITH YOUR PARENTS, WHO ARE BOTH RENOWNED PORTUGUESE ARCHITECTS?
My parents never separated their family lives from their profession. They always wanted to include my 2 sisters and I on the trips, friends, dinners, and discussions. I learned that knowing such amazing people, places and values is a privilege, and not something to take for granted. We should always live in a responsible and meaningful way. I feel I want/should share/give back what I learn and live - not even necessarily in a direct or instant way - to my students, friends, children and Duas Portas Guests.
2. WHAT IS SOMETHING IN PARTICULAR THAT YOU LOVE ABOUT OWNING DUAS PORTAS?
Some years ago, I would say that it was observing the guests, who were from all around the world. I was always fascinated by their ways and behaviors. Today I would say the thing I really love is to listen the guests. To be heard has become a luxury, and many of us have a great need for it in our lives. Of course I share a lot of things with the guests, but mostly I love to listen to them.
3. WHAT HAS BEEN THE MOST REWARDING PART ABOUT RUNNING A BUSINESS WITH YOUR FAMILY?
The trust we build with each other.
4. TELL US ABOUT THE TIME YOU HAD TO TAKE OUR FOUNDER LAUREN TO THE HOSPITAL!
Very funny, specially when the doctor became angry with me…
5. YOU GREW UP IN PORTO. WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE MAKES IT SO SPECIAL AS A TRAVEL DESTINATION?
I’m suspicious because I was born, grew up, and have lived almost my entire life in Porto that I could be a little biased... I believe Porto is such a special destination to visit not because of any particular aspect but because of a perfect combination of things: The “portuenses” (people from Porto), the architecture, the history, the river, the sea, the food, the weather, the scale of it all, each one in the right proportion.
6. WHERE IS A CITY YOU HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO VISIT? WHO WOULD YOU BRING WITH YOU?
Every time I want to visit a new place I can’t wait too long. I immediately start to plan a trip there. My next one will be Tokyo and I will take my husband with me.